Job Opening: Manager of Development
The Manager of Development will develop and execute the organization’s fundraising strategy in partnership with the Executive Leadership Team as Bright Star Schools seeks to open two new schools, enhance already existing programs and develop new initiatives. In order to be successful, the Manager of Development must excel as a relationship builder across a wide variety of stakeholder groups and be an excellent project manager. S/He will partner closely with our Executive Leadership team to cultivate donors, potential funders and community partners to advance and strengthen the organization’s brand awareness and ability to enhance an already successful educational program.
About Bright Star Schools and Bright Star Education Group: Bright Star Schools is one of the premier charter school organizations in Los Angeles, operating 7 schools that are among the highest performing public schools in Los Angeles. Since 2003, Bright Star Schools has been offering a high-quality public education that incorporates unique and innovative programs, aiming for all of its students to be prepared for college and life. Bright Star Education Group is a non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to provide a wide range of back office and business services to Bright Star Schools.
For more information, please visit www.brightstarschools.org.
Donor Management System
- Maintain an accurate record of past donors, and their giving priorities, amounts, and decision-making processes and key dates.
- Develop a system to track and plan interactions with current, and future donors
- Collaborate with the coordinator of strategic initiatives to develop a contact management system which tracks donor relationships.
Create a Development Strategy
- Work with the Chief Business Officer to determine organization’s philanthropic need.
- Partner with Executive Leadership Team to establish and set fundraising goals according to determined need.
- Collaborate with leadership to reevaluate goals as needed.
Grow and Diversify Philanthropic Revenue
- Partner with the BSS team to identify, prioritize, and raise philanthropy for key special projects and campaigns.
- Identify, and cultivate, new and existing individual, foundation, government, and corporate donors.
- Collaborate with executive leadership team and department leads to cultivate relationships with key donors.
Coordinate Donor Relationship Management
- Find ways to deepen relationships with current donors.
- Manage executive leadership team to engage with donors.
- Coordinate annual philanthropic events
- Support schools in development of school fundraising event best practices.
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Craft and execute all grant proposals
- Write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Develop effective systems to fulfill accountability, transparency, and reporting requirements to donors
- Coordinate across Bright Star Schools teams to ensure accurate reporting on all grants.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong analytical skills and fluency with data and financial information
- Highly‐organized and detail‐oriented
- Strong project/process management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects successfully, maintaining collaborative relationships across Bright Star Schools
- Ability to empathize with various perspectives and to tailor written communication accordingly
- Adept at prospect donor research
- A personal interest and commitment to improving educational opportunities for K‐12 students
- High level of integrity with confidential information
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Some event planning experience preferred
- Experience in the K-12 educational sector preferred, but not required
- At least two years of experience in fundraising or in a position/program where the candidate has demonstrated strong writing, analytical, and project management ability
- Experience with PowerPoint, Excel and Salesforce (or similar) database
Reports To: Director of School Development and Strategic Initiatives
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience.
Status: Full Time, Exempt, 12 month position
Location: Predominantly out of the BSEG central office at 600 South La Fayette Park Place, Los Angeles, CA 90057, with moderate travel between school sites.
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, 403b plan, personal time off, holidays.