Position: HIV & STI Testing Counselor
Department: Health Services
Reports To: Director of Health Services
Status: Non-Exempt/ Full Time (40 hours a week)
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, Paid Sick, Vacation, and 401(k) with Employer Contribution
Probation: 90 days
Directly supervised by the Director of Health Services, the HIV & STI Testing Counselor will provide HIV testing, STI screening, counseling and education within the Health Services Department at the LGBTQ Center Long Beach. This position will be responsible for the collection of testing specimens via finger-stick for rapid HIV testing, venipuncture, throat and urinalysis for STI screening. The primary focus for this position will be conducting rapid HIV tests, STI screening, completing required documentation and data collection for key stake holders and ensuring the program meets its monthly and yearly goals and objectives. Medical back-office administrative responsibilities will include, but not be limited to: data collection, medical records review, filing, linkage to care management, treatment planning and placing orders for medical supplies.
*Position requires Saturday afternoon hours.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate client flow and coordination of all HIV/STI testing clients
- Provide coverage for additional testing hours, special events and short staffing as needed
- Follow universal safety precautions at all times
- Triage HIV positive clients to local medical facilities and other community resources
- Maintain medical records with accurate, current and legible updates as required by funder
- Provide and maintain a customer service atmosphere which incorporates the standards and protocols of the Health Services Department and The LGBTQ Center of Long Beach
- Provide rapid HIV testing and counseling
- Collect specimens for STI screening and coordinate processing for pick up
- Completing lab requisitions and additional laboratory materials, including specimen containers and forms
- Assist in the preparation and disclosure of test results
- Provide sexual health education & counseling regarding HIV/STD infection, transmission, prevention and testing
- Assist the on-site nurse practitioner with medical examinations, treatment documentation and maintenance
- Support clinic flow, clinic sign in process and client files
- Participate in staff meetings and other meetings, on behalf of The Center, as needed
- Participate in on-going trainings and continued education as needed
- Attend and participate in local community events as needed
- Strong computer skills and knowledge including MS Word, Outlook, Excel and other software
- Must be able to create, maintain and update clients online database and electronic appointment system
PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION DUTIES
- Participate in program planning through interdisciplinary team meetings
- Collaborate across the Center and relevant partner agencies to coordinate appropriate client referrals
- Attend continuing education seminars, staff in-services and stay abreast of relevant literature to maintain familiarity with trends in prevention services
- 1 year of experience in providing safer sex, sexual health or medical services is preferred.
- Able to work in a high-volume fast pace environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage stressful and triggering situations with clients by using a trauma informed model
- Experience (paid or volunteer) in HIV/STI education or counseling
- Knowledge of HIV/STD infection, transmission, prevention and sexual health practices
- Ability to network with local community resources and referrals.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong interpersonal and organization skills
- Be knowledgeable of community resources and local referrals for HIV/STD, mental health, case management and additional appropriate client-centered referrals
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with a variety of gender identities of diverse races, ethnicities, ages and sexual orientations in a multicultural environment
- Must be able to adapt to new HIV/STI testing technologies and procedures as they improve
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
- State certification in HIV Counseling (Basic I and Basic II; preferred, not required)
- Phlebotomy Certification; preferred
- Interest in Counseling, Public Health, Human Services or related field a plus.
- This position is full-time with benefits located in Long Beach, CA with the following hours, 5 days per week:
We are looking for someone who works well under pressure, is able to communicate with clients who are in need of individual counseling about various topics including sex, drugs, abuse, relationship stressors and social issues commonly seen in the LGBTQ community. Some of these issues may be traumatic and require a high level of tolerance from staff working in these cases. We prefer a person who understands the difference between hearing and listening and has
experience providing/conducting counseling sessions. Candidate must demonstrate an ability to speak comfortably about HIV/AIDS, Sexually Transmitted Infections, sex, injection drug use, transgender health and risk factors, young adults of color, women’s health and develop a behavior modification plan within a counseling session. A bachelor degree or equivalent experience is preferred, but not required. Candidate should be willing to participate and pass trainings provided by the Los Angeles Health Department as well as Accelerated Phlebotomy Training.
The LGBTQ Center of Long Beach is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are encouraged from anyone regardless of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, marital status, religious creed, sexual orientation or age.