Heal the Bay is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds of Greater Los Angeles safe, healthy and clean. We achieve this through science, education, community action and advocacy.
Heal the Bay’s volunteer programs reach over 50,000 people every year, educating the Los Angeles public about the water pollution, watershed and ocean health degradation, a need for improved local water supply, and how residents can help. Heal the Bay also operates the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium, our environmental education facility that is home to over 100 species of local aquatic life. Each year we offer over 100,000 visitors a unique view into the world of watershed and ocean protection, helping to build the next generation of environmental stewards. We offer field trip education programs, educational birthday parties, and education programs for the public. This position reports to the Aquarium Director.
- Create a fun and welcoming atmosphere to encourage volunteerism and leadership;
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers for the Aquarium and Heal the Bay outreach and citizen science programs;
- Conduct quarterly evening volunteer orientations and training;
- Coordinate volunteer programs including scheduling and management of volunteer participation in a variety of Heal the Bay’s programs, communications with volunteers and community organizations, and on-going enrichment activities;
- Schedule birthday party reservations, manage payment, and coordinate activities during party events;
- Support Public Programs at the Aquarium including front desk, Saturday Story Time, graphic/poster design, signage design and print ordering;
- Support Public Education Programs operations including staffing the front desk, managing the register and money count, organizing setup and the day’s activities, public hours activity and event planning, social media support, and ordering/maintaining program supply stock;
- Coordinate with Heal the Bay program managers to track volunteer activities, data, and hours;
- Coordinate all volunteer communications, including e-newsletters and relevant website updates;
- Manage volunteer appreciation programs, including the annual volunteer party and continuing educational events;
- Coordinate volunteers for special events, including Heal the Bay’s Annual Benefit Dinner, Coastal Cleanup Day, Earth Day events, and some fundraising events;
- Oversee and ensure consistency across departments with Heal the Bay’s internship programs and onboarding process; and
- Oversee volunteer budget including tracking and maintaining data for grant reports.
- Strong leadership ability, coordination, and planning skills
- Well organized, able to work on several projects simultaneously, both independently and as a team
- Outstanding communication and people skills: written and oral, including public speaking
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Knowledge of and passion for the environment
- Computer Skills – Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel and knowledge of social media platforms
- Previous volunteer coordination experience preferred
Volunteer Programs Coordinator
- Experience with Salesforce CRM or Volgistics a plus
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish a plus
- Valid driver’s license required-- driving to outreach events and meetings will be required
Salary: $35,000-$40,000 annually, plus benefits (medical, dental, vision). A retirement option is available after one year of employment.
Hours: Full-time. Position will work weekends as well as some evenings including volunteer training.