LA Family Housing is looking to fill a position for an Outreach Specialist. The Outreach Specialist is responsible for conducting homeless outreach and engagement services within a 4-person Street-based Engagement Team (SBET) serving homeless single adults in Service Planning Area (SPA) 2. Primary duties include engage homeless single adults via street outreach activities, coordinate referrals and program-linkage to other regional programs serving homeless adults, maintain thorough and accurate records in both written form and through the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and collaborate with other homeless outreach entities in the SPA who are part of the Coordinated Entry System (CES). Provide follow-up referral/service tracking to homeless single adults living on the streets of Service Planning Area (SPA) 2.
- Provide mobile, field-based, outreach to homeless single adults living on the streets of SPA 2.
- Work within the goals of CES to reduce street homelessness by linking program participants to mental health, health services housing services, and other supportive services for which they are eligible.
- Motivate homeless individuals to engage in outreach services and associated community referrals that promote well-being by building rapport and providing emotional support to participants.
- Work closely with mobile medical team to ensure homeless single adults on the streets are triaged to needed medical care and health care assessment.
- Work collaboratively with other outreach entities in the community (LAHSA ERT, LAPD, DMH, VA).
- Provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Utilizing “Harm Reduction” & “Housing First” philosophies when working with homeless individuals.
- Follow-up to ensure that referrals are completed; provide advocacy as needed.
- Must maintain thorough and accurate records in both written form and through HMIS.
- Attend various, regular staff, agency and community meetings as designated by supervisor.
- Additional tasks, projects and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND REVIEW
Position reports to: Outreach Team Manager
Performance review: Annual
Number of employees receiving work direction: N/A
Position titles reporting to position: N/A
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Passion for ending homelessness
- Knowledge and experience in conducting street outreach; understanding of the Coordinated Entry System (CES) and its overarching goal of achieving “functional zero” for those experiencing homelessness
- Knowledge of issues facing homeless single adults (e.g. chronic health, substance abuse, mental health, domestic abuse, resources for undocumented persons)
- Ability to be flexible and work in an environment subject to ongoing change
- Availability to work after hours for crisis calls and/or disaster response
- Knowledge of community social service agencies and resources in SPA 2
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to perform extensive charting, electronic data entry, and documentation
- Bilingual: Spanish/English preferred
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to follow through from beginning to end on tasks and projects
- Valid CA Driver’s License in good standing.
Position requires a minimum of an AA degree in related field, or equivalent experience (2 years homeless outreach/field-based service experience).
FLSA Status: Hourly
Payroll Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: Full-Time
LAFH Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Voluntary Life, 403B Retirement Plan, 529 Education Savings Plan, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, AFLAC Policies, AFLAC FSAs, Legal Policy, Employee Appreciation Program, Company Sponsored Employee Outings, 9/80 Alternative Work Schedule, Paid Sick, Vacation and 11 Observed Holidays.