The California Women’s Law Center is seeking applicants for the position of Senior Staff Attorney.
Founded in 1989, the California Women’s Law Center is a nonprofit organization working to pursue justice for women and girls by breaking down barriers and advancing the potential of women and girls through transformative litigation, policy advocacy and education. CWLC believes lasting change is only possible when women and girls are empowered to be their own best advocates. Our work prioritizes violence against women, sex discrimination, women’s health and reproductive rights, equal pay and gender equality.
The Law Center seeks an energetic self-starter who will embrace the responsibility of assisting in the formulation and implementation of CWLC’s strategies to secure justice for women and girls. The Senior Staff Attorney is a full-time position and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Senior Staff Attorney will:
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors and the legal staff, assist in establishing the priorities and goals for the Law Center and in implementing those priorities, including assisting in the development of legal strategies
- Work with the Executive Director and other members of the legal staff to determine when the mission and strategic priorities of the Law Center would be advanced by instituting litigation and then play a significant role in prosecuting that litigation
- Litigate at the trial and appellate levels, draft amicus briefs, work with outside legal counsel and engage in policy advocacy
- Serve as an expert resource by supporting local and statewide legal service organizations and by providing legal and technical assistance to individuals, legal services offices, community organizations and pro bono attorneys
- Review requests for the Law Center’s legal assistance, including amicus briefs and requests to co-counsel on litigation matters
- Ensure the legal work of the Law Center is high quality, innovative and effective
- Participate in local, state and national coalitions and partnerships that support goals and initiatives consistent with the mission of the Law Center, and participate in meetings, public speaking and press relations
- Assist in the development and outreach of the Law Center through assisting in grant writing efforts, events and special projects or programs
J.D., L.L.B or the equivalent. Admitted to the California Bar.
- Practiced law for at least 6-9 years
- Extensive experience at the trial and appellate level
- Demonstrated 2+ years expertise in legal advocacy on women’s issues
- Administrative skills, including supervision of employees/volunteers and budget management
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Fluency in other languages a plus
- Experience in community organizing a plus
Salary and benefits:
- $86,000-$90,000, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, vision and disability insurance
- California State Bar dues and professional liability insurance covered