River LA seeks a creative, dynamic and entrepreneurial individual to assist in the development, curation, and coordination of events. You would be part of a fast-paced team environment where everyone works independently to achieve results that advance our mission to transform the LA River.
River LA is a non-profit with the mission to ensure that the 51-mile Los Angeles River integrates design and infrastructure to bring people and nature together. We champion river-oriented policy and sustainable public spaces while creating innovative models for community benefit and participation. We are a diverse, creative and enterprising team. We are passionate about creating a sustainable, connected, and resilient region via the Los Angeles River.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Event Curator/Coordinator will design and execute an annual event plan for approximately 20 events each year designed to cultivate community, strengthen donor and volunteer relationships, and identify new donor and volunteer relationships by engaging people with the culture and mission of River LA in a meaningful and experiential manner. The position will also serve as River LA’s Concierge to plan special, individualized events for VIP individuals. The Events Curator/Coordinator will identify events and concierge services appropriate to River LA’s image, culture, and purpose. The events will be varying in size and scope, and require a creative, flexible approach, as well as an ability to define what excites the diverse River LA audience. The creation of an overall timeline and annual event plan in accordance with the organizationally integrated fundraising plan is crucial.
The salary range for this position is $50,000 to $54,000 per year. River LA offers both medical and dental benefit plans, and a retirement benefit after the first year of employment.
If you know someone who might be interested in this exciting new position, please ask them to call or email Melissa Puls at 323-221-7800; [email protected]
Event Curator/Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Manages all River LA events in support of the River LA Fundraising Plan
- Launches and sustains, a branded, immersion program designed to build a strong River LA community over time through a series of experiential, impact-driven, and donor-centric events.
- Creates timeline and annual event plan in accordance with the River LA Fundraising Plan.
- Creates and manages the overall events budget, as well as the individual event budgets.
- Develops or facilitates creative program and entertainment content appropriate to each event.
- Locates and books venues and facilities, and manages event teams for larger events.
- Recruits and manages teams of volunteers to assist with events as needed.
- Plans and organizes ticket sales and manages invitee list.
- Oversees promotion and marketing of the event.
- Attends all events, coordinates all activities, resolves problems and ensures the event runs smoothly.
- Manages and maintains participant database.
- Conducts an appraisal and financial analysis after each event to determine its success, and improvements needed for future events.
- Works with Director of Development after events to review and set goals for each participant.
Concierge responsibilities include:
- Works with Director of Development to create and coordinate special events or day trips for VIP’s from the River LA community appropriate to the River LA culture and purpose, and creatively curated for the particular interests and passions of the participants.
- Identifies interesting new and creative opportunities along the 51 miles of the Los Angeles River for people to experience the River through many different lenses, such as food and drink, arts and culture, health and fitness, family outings, expert talks, and special events.
- Creates and maintains budget for concierge services.
- Manages and maintains participant database.
- Ensures all services occur as planned and are satisfactory to the participants.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years' work experience in an event coordinator role, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability in event coordination and event budget management.
- Personal initiative and self-motivation skills with a good dose of humility, sense of humor and willingness to go the extra mile.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment where each day brings new ideas and opportunities.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with, and earn the respect and confidence of internal and external partners as well as VIP’s.
- Ability to communicate new ideas and strategic thinking in a written format that appeals to donors.
- Ability to handle confidential information, and operate in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; confidence in communicating across a wide variety of platforms, including electronic, written, and in-person to articulate the River LA culture embodied in events.
- Comfortable with analytical thinking and setting practical, achievable targets
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience with database, event management, or CRM platforms a plus.
- Nighttime and weekend work required.