The Child Educational Center (CEC), a nonprofit affiliate of Caltech and JPL, provides early care and education with a pioneering focus on outdoor learning at seven sites in La Canada and Pasadena. The CEC, accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), offers full-day programs for children up to five years old, as well as after-school programs and summer camps for children in grades K – 6. Through the CEC’s consulting and outreach services and Outdoor Classroom Project® initiative, the Center is transforming the way early childhood educational programs provide care to children across California.
The CEC is currently seeking a full-time Development Associate. The position is 40 hours per week, with health, vacation and sick pay benefits.
The primary purpose and goal of the Communications Coordinator is to advance the Child Educational Center’s vision, mission, and values by developing materials and content, both print and online that is shared with the immediate community and the general public.
The Communications Coordinator is part of a small, flexible team that contributes broadly to the Development and Communications team.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Business, English or Journalism.
- More than 2 years’ experience working in communications, marketing or development (nonprofit, educational community or school preferred).
- Excellent comprehension, research, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong understanding of brand management, online communications, and social media.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills; able to write in a variety of formats, including press releases, ad copy, long-form editorial, social media and presentations.
- Ability to be proactive in identifying appropriate news, event, and story items and to translate them into web content, and various media efficiently and effectively.
- Outstanding computer skills, including MS Office programs, Adobe Indesign, Photoshop and Acrobat, Constant Contact, Word Press and Squarespace; basic graphic design skills with an aesthetic sense that is aligned with the CEC brand; photography skills a plus. Must have excellent proofreading skills and a high attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced office; ability to meet tight deadlines and flexibility to work over-time occasionally, as needed.
- Demonstrated teamwork and interpersonal relations skills; must be a self-starter with a collaborative work style, while able to work independently.
- Assistance with nonprofit event planning and implementation.
- Skill in interviewing a variety of constituencies, gathering and synthesizing information from a variety of sources.
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
- Event planning experience
- Valid driver’s license and car for communications materials pickup from local vendors
Communications and Public Relations
- Coordinates the preparation and production of publications, including electronic newsletters, annual reports, press releases, etc. Includes writing, research, basic graphic design, and collecting/creating artwork and photos. Coordinates projects with vendors, plans, schedules and budgets print and electronic projects.
- Initiate and coordinate organizational meetings to plan, coordinate and execute original communications products and publications related to special events and programs.
- Manage event promotions and coordinate media inquiries including print advertising.
- Maintain and monitor online communications including but not exclusive to the organization’s websites, email blasts, blogs, and social media, etc. This includes updating the organization’s websites on an as needed basis via various platforms.
- Develop and expand the organization’s public relations efforts by pursuing media coverage for the CEC’s programs, consulting and educational services, and events through outreach and distribution of press releases. Develop content including stakeholder stories and testimonials, program and outreach updates and newsworthy stories to be used in organization publications and on social media.
- Maintain and update media and public relations contacts list, and updated public relations information packets.
- Cultivate friendly relations that are community-building internally, and represent the CEC in the community.
- Assist in the development and execution of the organization’s communications strategy and branding; Work to ensure that the CEC’s print and online communications are consistent with its branding, format, and style guidelines.
- Facilitate design of educational and marketing displays and guide production implementation.
- Monitor/proofread material developed and produced by CEC staff and personnel, ensuring it is factually and technically accurate.
- Facilitate photography for events, activities and for use in publications. Ensure appropriate releases are signed and filed.
- Create PowerPoint presentations for other staff to present at events, as requested.
- Liaise with volunteers, as necessary.
- Maintain calendar for communications project production.
- Provide clerical assistance and other support as needed for communications and fundraising activities.
- Maintain the CEC’s digital assets in conjunction with directors (program and management).
Director of Development and Communications, C&ES Administrative Manager provides direction for C&ES priorities
40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Availability to work evenings and weekends as requested for special events