TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit whose mission is to unite the power of nature, people and technology to create a sustainable future for Los Angeles. TreePeople is among the largest independent environmental organizations in California. Sustained by a staff of 50 educators, foresters and administrators as well as thousands of trained “Citizen Foresters”, TreePeople has played, and will continue to play, a leading role in mobilizing Angelenos, private businesses and government agencies to work together to create resilient urban communities capable of withstanding the mounting challenges of climate change.
TreePeople’s passionate commitment to the environment and its unique implementation model, known as “Citizen Forestry”, engage and inspire Angelenos at both the grassroots and policy levels to take environmental action in their communities. Over the next ten years, TreePeople and its Citizen Foresters will spearhead the transformation of Los Angeles’ urban ecosystem by:
- Mobilizing Angelenos into a community committed to adapting the City’s resources and infrastructure in response to severe climate change
- Expanding forestry and education programs that inspire thousands of volunteers to improve the health and safety of Angelenos by planting and maintaining trees in wilderness areas, urban neighborhoods and school campuses
- Transforming Los Angeles’ urban landscape into a living watershed to capture, clean, store and conserve rain and storm water in response to droughts and diminishing resources
- Fostering collaborative partnerships that bring private businesses, non-profit resources and government agencies together to research, develop and implement system-wide solutions to environmental problems
In the coming years, TreePeople will inspire Angelenos to reimagine and reclaim Los Angeles’ future. TreePeople will empower Angelenos to come together to combat and adapt to climate change through individual action, technology, and collaborative partnerships in order to create a more holistic, integrated and sustainable Los Angeles.
For more information, please visit the TreePeople website at www.treepeople.org.
JOB SUMMARY: The Grants Assistant furthers the goals of the organization by supporting activities related to institutional funders, including government agencies, foundations and corporations.
REPORTS TO: Director of Grants
TYPE OF POSITION: Full-time
SALARY: Entry level with benefits
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support and help coordinate invoicing, hour-tracking, contract compliance and reporting efforts between Development, Environmental Education and Administration Departments
- Prepare multiple government, foundation and corporate grant contract invoices and reports, including tracking of staff hours, outside vendors and other expenses
- Track and/or gather qualitative and quantitative data on grant and contract program performance from the TreePeople database, by interviewing staff members and using other resources as needed
- Preparation of grant/contract narrative reports
SECONDARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare timely thank you letters to grant funders
- Maintain database for reporting deadlines and deliverables, updated contact information and other data as appropriate
- Maintain paper and electronic files of contract and grant requests, awards, reports, supplemental materials (i.e. IRS letters, by-laws, 990s and audits) and appropriate research
- Support process of applying for grants as time allows, including research and preparation of grant applications and proposals
- Participate in Development, Education and other events as requested by Director of Grants
- Experience in general office skills, including simple bookkeeping, electronic record-keeping, scanning, copying, filing, and mailing/shipping
- Strong organization and computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Windows, Google Docs/sheets, accounting and database software, online research
- Desired: Writing and communication skills; education or experience in contract compliance, grants, non-profit organizations
*TreePeople is an equal opportunity employer