Job Title – Manager, Special Events and New Initiatives
Reports to – Chief Advancement Officer/ Vice President, Advancement
United Friends of the Children empowers current and former foster youth on their journey to self-sufficiency through service-enriched education and housing programs, advocacy, and consistent relationships with a community of people who care.
UFC has been an integral part of the Los Angeles foster care community since our founding by Nancy M. Daly in 1979. Our early advocacy efforts helped establish the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services and pass the Foster Care Independence Act. Innovations in direct services span from co-founding the first transitional housing program in the nation for former foster youth to the creation of an 11-year education support continuum that follows foster youth from the seventh grade through the completion of a bachelor’s degree.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Special Events and New Initiatives Manager will provide support to the Chief Advancement Officer on all ongoing events and new initiatives projects in the Advancement Department. Projects will include, but are not limited to, assisting with UFC events, working in collaboration with the Corporate & Community Relations Manager to maximize UFC’s exposure in Los Angeles, and generating new donor connections and events through cultivation and stewardship.
From Monday – Friday, the Special Events and New Initiatives Manager will work from UFC’s downtown office. Some weekend and evening work is required throughout the year as needed and at major events.
Duties and responsibilities
Special Events & Community Outreach
- Assist in all aspects of planning, organizing, and executing UFC fundraising events and large scale program events, including but not limited to Brass Ring, Cultivate LA, Stone Canyon Crawl, Celebration Graduation, College Within Reach and holiday celebrations.
- In conjunction with the Event Planner, CAO and event committee, research, review, and solicit venue locations, vendors, prospective auction packages, and actively seek out new fundraising opportunities
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fund- raising events
- Work in partnership with the Corporate and Community Relations Manager to determine volunteer needs for all UFC events
- Work as a direct support to UFC’s Event Planner and assist in all aspects of event preparation, planning, communication, scheduling, tracking and follow-up
- Coordinate and monitor event timeline to insure all deadlines are met
- Ensure and manage organizational and event compliance with insurance providers, home owners and vendors, and state/local advisory boards and commissions for event-related logistics
- Assist with donor and prospect research on individuals, corporations and foundations to provide event funding support
- Liaise with UFC board and event committee members to engage their support with event coordination
- Monitor trends in social media tools and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge to increase the number of supporters and visibility of UFC
- Additional duties as assigned
- Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement UFC’s organizational values:
- Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact
- Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth, community and each other
- Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation
- Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups
- Work together as one organization
- B.A. degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of three years of experience as an administrative assistant or in a customer service position
- Ability to handle confidential donor/constituency information with sensitivity and integrity
- Ability to multi-task and manage the completion of multiple projects, often with shifting priorities, while working under direct supervision or independently
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, flexible and well-organized
- MS Office and database experience
- Exemplary verbal/written communication skills are required
- Exceptional responsiveness, both by phone and email
- Availability for occasional nights and weekends
- Reliable personal automobile
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Experience working in a development department of a non-profit organization
- Competent in design programs In Design, Illustrator or Photoshop preferred
- Experience with Salesforce
- Previous event experience