The Kitchen Community (TKC), a 501c3 nonprofit organization, believes that real food should be available to everyone. We build Learning Gardens in schools, adding outdoor classrooms and community gathering places that connect kids to real food and empower them to make healthier food choices. Learning Gardens are the platform from which we leverage the power of real food so that every child will have the opportunity to learn, play, and grow in a healthy community. Our team is dynamic, collaborative and passionate about real food, education, and healthy communities.
Responsible for raising and managing gifts and philanthropy that are essential to the mission, growth and pioneering work of The Kitchen Community (TKC) Los Angeles. The Regional Director is also responsible for managing a high functioning interdisciplinary team comprised of program, project and development staff members. The successful candidate will spearhead development activities and philanthropy and grow our reach to 100+ gardens in the Los Angeles area. This role requires an entrepreneurial, highly adaptable individual who can easily function in a high demand, results-driven environment. S/he must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel. The Regional Director demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for our work, evidenced by inspiring donors to give, inspiring team members to be motivated and productive and gaining credibility with partners and senior management This position will report to the National Director.
- Develop and manage a large and diverse portfolio of major giving prospects and donors; averaging 15 face-to-face visits per month which result in significant progress towards major gifts.
- Advance key solicitations and the closing of principal gifts.
- Cultivate and qualify new prospects and obtain major gift solicitations that garner capital, annual and deferred support.
- Work with Advancement team to utilize marketing, sponsorship, proposals and event materials.
- Oversee the regional fundraising plan and collaborate with National Development Team to meet fundraising goals for annual regional budget and support successful completion of annual regional fundraising goals.
- Conduct successful fundraising events for the region to expand the organization’s impact.
- Guide and participate in efforts to recruit and manage a Regional Advisory Board
- Support and engage in all organization advocacy initiatives as required on a local level; foster working relationships with clubs/organizations/partners within the region
Events and Communications
- Identify key opportunities for strategic cultivation events and manage their planning and execution;
- Work with leadership team to promote TKC’s regional brand;
Regional Team Management
- Develop and oversee $1MM+ operating budget. Provide accurate projections for budgetary and financial reports. Monitor and report on performance against plan and budget.
- Ensure timely information and reporting between the region and the National Office
- Oversee the organization and implementation of the Program and Product Management plans in region
- Provide leadership and be a resource for regional teams
- Communicate general organization and regional goals to team
- Communicate and work collaboratively with the National Development, Program, and Product Management teams around functional and organizational guidelines and goals
- Advise and guide regional team on district relationships and strategic program partners.
- Ideal candidate will have 6+ years of non-profit development experience in roles of progressive responsibility;
- Ability to close gifts or business deals with demonstrative experiences closing gifts of $100,000 or more; demonstrated knowledge of individual, foundation and corporate giving
- Proven expertise in developing and maintaining positive relationships with diverse individuals including executives, wealthy donors as well as internal stakeholders and leadership;
- A vision for future growth, experience in both small and large development office settings is a plus.
Competencies and Traits:
- Understands the scope of a successful fundraising program and the importance and function of its components; ability to multitask and work as a generalist across these components;
- Can thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment; committed to and excited about broadening and deepening an organization’s development;
- Is nimble and able to work independently without extensive administrative support and exceptional organizational abilities with fluency and grace in managing multiple projects and competing priorities with professionalism and humor;
- A “big picture” thinker who also excels at managing details, envisioning process and operationalizing plans;
- Highly effective interpersonal, conversational and presentational skills, demonstrating an emotional intelligence and situational awareness, in tandem with excellent writing abilities and strong case development and enterprise sales pitch skills;
- Prowess in problem-solving, and creative thinking, plus taking initiative with consistent and good follow-through;
- Independent and pro-active thinker who can work as part of an effective team;
- Highly motivated self-starter with a strong sense of personal responsibility
- Exceedingly professional demeanor; discrete and confidential;
- Ability to spark enthusiasm and speak in a compelling manner about reaching kids;
- Team player, able to check ego at the door with a high capacity to collaborate with others.