Deputy Operations Manager
Reports to: Operations Manager
Direct Reports: Drivers, Dispatchers, Fleet & Facility Coordinator
Salary: $55,000/year, plus benefits
Schedule/Hours: 5 Days/Week, full time, one Weekend Day required
Start date: May 2017
Summary: Bicycle Transit Systems (Bike Transit) aims to be the global leader in bike share system implementation and operation. Leveraging over 25 years combined experience of our staff in sustainable transportation, Bike Transit brings a new approach to the planning, implementation and operation of bike share systems.
In partnership with Los Angeles Metro, Bike Transit has launched the Downtown Los Angeles Pilot Bike Share Program, Metro Bike, with approximately 61 stations and 700 bicycles. In 2017 we will be expanding to over 1,300 bicycles in Pasadena, Venice and The Port of Los Angeles. Future rapid expansion of up to 4,000 bikes bicycles is anticipated in the following years. Our mission is to make bike share a healthy, easy, accessible, and enjoyable way to get around Los Angeles.
Bicycle Transit Systems is seeking a qualified and experienced Deputy Operations Manager to oversee operations at our Downtown Los Angeles office. They will coordinate with the Operations manager to ensure a high level of performance, efficacy, and safety from our Dispatch, and Driver teams as well as work with our Fleet & Facility Coordinator to ensure our vehicles and warehouses are safely and routinely maintained. They will ensure that we meet our service level agreements with Los Angeles Metro by ensuring on street bike checking while collaborating with the Station Technician team to support overall station functionality.
This position requires the ability to multi-task, establish priorities, complete assignments thoroughly and accurately, communicate effectively across company divisions and departments, as well as read and comprehend information. Must have strong management, human relations and communication skills. Must establish a strong knowledge of bike share or other transit agenda operations, features of service, systems, policies and procedures.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Manage and ensure a high integrity of day-to-day work among a team of professional Drivers and Dispatch personnel.
- Monitor and ensure performance of systems and software that support Dispatch and Driver functions.
- Lead inter- and intra-departmental communication by facilitating a weekly meeting and implementing effective tools for day to day, shift to shift communication.
- Support staff to effectively utilize communication tools to build system and procedural efficiency.
- Participate in weekly and monthly meetings, ensure information is relayed to departmental staff.
- Manage the scheduling, attendance, and time off requests of Drivers and Dispatchers.
- Cover Dispatch shifts, when necessary.
- Complete regular performance reviews and provide ongoing feedback to Drivers and Dispatchers.
- Lead the hiring and training of Drivers and Dispatchers.
- Provide reports and narratives on operational metrics; disseminate outcomes to Operations Manager and team to build an informed team.
- Develop and revise operational SOP’s for Dispatchers and Drivers; ensure staff are trained on all SOP’s and protocols are followed accordingly.
- Ensure Dispatchers are monitoring and assigning workflow to ensure maximum efficiency of system and safety of Operations staff.
- Coordinate with Head Mechanic and Head Station Tech to assign fleet vehicles as needed to support operation of the system; formulate system efficiency by supervising work schedules and vehicle assignments.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Operations Manager, Head Mechanic and Head Station Tech to ensure any operational SOP’s directed by Dispatch team are being followed.
- Coordinate fleet maintenance schedule and facility/stock of equipment with Facility & Fleet Coordinator.
- Analyze reports on a daily basis; Identify, develop and implement tools to build efficiency among field-based operations team; monitor effectiveness to ensure timely and productive workflows.
- Ensure open issues that impact customer experience are researched and resolved.
- Develop action plan with operations team to reduce service failures and correct deficiencies in service levels.
- Collaborate with Customer Service and Marketing to implement corral service to support day to day operations when necessary.
- In collaboration with Operations Manager and General Manager, direct the development and execution of emergency contingency plans (i.e. system outage, vehicle incident), when necessary.
- Supports corporate Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) goals and objectives.
- Operate company vehicles, as needed.
- Ability to work early mornings, nights, weekends when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 4 years experience managing teams, training staff, and optimizing procedures.
- Prefered Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or equivalent job-related experience.
- Empirical, level-headed, analytical, highly organized, calm and calculated problem-solving skills.
- System-oriented; demonstrated effectiveness on development and follow through of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Data-Driven, highly competent in Excel and ability to optimize information from various software platforms.
- Previous logistics experience is required, transit logistics a plus.
- Strong leadership, communications and interpersonal skills; ability to motivate a team to perform effectively, efficiently, safely while finding joy and meaning in the work.
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
- Technical and mechanical aptitude.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record (must pass a motor vehicle record check); comfortable driving, stopping, and working in busy outdoor urban environments.
- Adaptability - the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability - the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Excitement and interest in bike sharing.
- May require bending, stooping, lifting up to 60 pounds.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
- Sense of humor.