Reports to: Academy President & COO and Foundation Chair
Summary of Position
The Executive Director shall have the general responsibility for the daily operations of the Foundation and is responsible for providing strategic leadership of the Foundation’s programs, initiatives and staff, ensuring the fulfillment of the organization’s mission and financial objectives. This position ensures ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation for both ongoing and new initiatives, and consistent results in fundraising, communications and administration.
Responsibilities and Duties
Program development and administration:
- Develop a long-range strategy for the Foundation’s programs to fulfill the organization’s mission as set forth by the Board of Directors and ensure the organization’s progress towards its long-term goals.
- Develop annual program and budget plans with staff to fulfill the goals and objectives of each Foundation initiative and implement in an effective manner. All plans will be presented to the Board of Directors for strategic guidance.
- Continually evaluate programs and initiatives to maximize effectiveness, improve quality, and build stature within the industry; develop key measurements of success for all programs.
- Promote active participation of the Academy’s membership in all areas of the organization's programmatic work, e.g. as program judges, intern sponsors, mentors, panelists, etc.
Financials and fund development:
- Develop and obtain Board of Director approval for the Foundation’s annual operating budget and fund development goals, in conjunction with the Academy and Foundation staff, board chairman and treasurer.
- Manage the operating budget throughout the year to ensure the financial objectives of the organization are met, understanding the need to appropriately fund the Foundation’s programs while implementing them in the most cost effective manner possible.
- Design and direct annual and multi-year fund development strategies, including: individual, foundation, and corporate outreach, major gift cultivation, grant proposals, campaigns, events, and donor stewardship.
- Work with the Board Chair on board leadership development in fundraising.
- Plan, manage, and execute cultivation opportunities and events.
- Develop, maintain and support a strong relationship with the Board of Directors; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for long-term and annual programs and fundraising.
- Organize quarterly Board meetings.
- Keep Board fully informed on the activities of the organization and important factors influencing it.
Marketing and communications:
- In conjunction with the Academy Marketing department, publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish strategic partnerships with entertainment industry and community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to the entertainment industry, other organizations, and the general public.
- Assess the needs of the organization and the capabilities of Foundation personnel to ensure the organization’s ability to achieve its goals and objectives
- Encourage staff development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the overall mission of the organization.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree a plus
- A minimum of 10 years senior management experience
- A track record of effectively leading a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff
- A commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board membership relationships and diplomatically advise on board governance
- Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, with an innovative approach to business planning
- Experience and/or exposure in the professional television production industry desired
- Exposure to the Academic world is a plus