The California Women’s Law Center (CWLC) is seeking applicants for the position of Director of Communications and Marketing
Founded in 1989, the California Women’s Law Center is a nonprofit organization working to secure justice for women and girls by breaking down barriers and advancing their potential through transformative litigation, policy advocacy and education.
CWLC believes lasting change is only possible when women and girls are empowered to be their best advocates. Our work prioritizes violence against women, sex discrimination, women’s health and reproductive rights, equal pay and gender equality.
Responsibilities and Duties
CWLC seeks an energetic self-starter who will embrace the responsibility of assisting in the formulation and implementation of CWLC’s strategies to secure justice for women and girls. Excellent written and verbal skills and attention to detail are essential.
The Director of Communications and Marketing is a full-time, exempt position and reports directly to the Executive Director. The position is based in Los Angeles, California.
The Communications and Marketing Director will:
- Develop a Communications Plan to grow all aspects of the organization (e.g. membership, media, fundraising)
- Direct internal and external communications strategies to achieve the organization’s communications goals by building awareness of the organization’s work
- Build pro-active media relationships; create and oversee organization’s media events, including media contacts and activities; draft press releases; grow and maintain organization’s media list
- Produce quarterly newsletter; create and distribute other publications and materials as needed
- Manage development of web-based/online electronic communications, creating and distributing publications and materials to build base of support
- Create relevant content for the organization’s website and social media accounts (Twitter and Facebook)
- Participate in organization’s current grantee requirements; strategize and work to secure new grant opportunities • Assist in preparation and outreach related to organization’s advocacy and legislative projects
- Speak and make presentations to groups, as appropriate
- Assist with organization’s fundraising messaging
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in a field related to communications, journalism or policy
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of professional experience in media communications or public relations
- Experience and success in management of staff, volunteers, Board Members and donors
- Experience with social media and website management (Word Press)
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required
- A valid driver’s license and reliable, flexible means of transportation is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Access
- Fluency in other languages a plus
Salary and benefits:
- $60,000 or higher, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, vision and disability insurance