The Communications Deputy raises the visibility of the Controller and promotes the work of the office through social and traditional media, while assisting with public presentations.
- Manage the Controller’s social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube, growing audiences across platforms;
- Design newsletters, online postings and other visual materials;
- Prepare talking points and speeches for the Controller for both community events and policy initiatives;
- Help write, edit and proofread letters, reports and other written materials for the office
- Interact with reporters, producers and bloggers;
- Draft and distribute press releases;
- Help maintain the Controller’s website and upload reports and other materials;
- Demonstrate teamwork by assisting staff with routine correspondence, telephone/e-mail inquiries and special events.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills;
- Proficiency in social media platforms and audience metrics, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with reporters, journalists, bloggers and other media professionals;
- Ability to attractively design written and online presentations with InDesign, Microsoft Publisher and other software;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and under deadline;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, internet research, data analysis, and social media marketing and design;
- Intermediate to advanced photography and photo editing skills;
- California Driver License (required);
- Bachelor’s degree (required);
- Fluency in a second language (strongly preferred);
- Proficiency in HTML coding and related programs (strongly preferred);
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (strongly preferred);
- Availability on evenings and weekends is sometimes required.