About T.R.U.S.T. South LA
T.R.U.S.T. South LA is a community-based effort to revitalize and stabilize our neighborhoods, where increased property values and rents are pushing many long-term residents out of the northern part of South Central, close to Downtown and USC; while in contrast, decades of disinvestment have left the areas south of MLK Boulevard lacking basic services. Our vision is of South Los Angeles neighborhoods where low-income community residents have power to shape the development of housing, recreation and open space in a manner that promotes economic vitality and healthy environments.
T.R.U.S.T. South LA’s work includes: serving as a steward for community-controlled land; being a catalyst for values-driven, community-serving development; building awareness and community leadership in issues of housing, transportation and recreation; and creating programs and initiatives that encourage community building and economic opportunity. We are legally-structured as a Membership organization, and our grassroots members have majority control over the Board of Directors.
T.R.U.S.T. South LA seeks a dynamic and experienced Executive Director, who will be responsible for advancing the organization’s mission and programs, ensuring the financial health of the organization, partnering with Board and Members to ensure strong grassroots authority, overseeing staff and consultants, and leading T.R.U.S.T.’s strategic growth. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Organization Strategy and Governance
- Work collaboratively to build a democratic organization with the long-term vision of transforming the neighborhoods of South Los Angeles through community control over land.
- Coordinate and develop a diverse and bilingual (Spanish/English) Board of Directors.
- Convene Personnel, Finance and Audit Committees of the Board, and support the Real Estate/Land Stewardship Committee.
- Ensure the development and implementation of a multi-year (2018-2023) strategic plan for the organization.
- Support the development of strong community leaders, a vibrant Membership, and a broad and diverse base.
Finances and Fund Development
- Manage organizational finances in compliance with T.R.U.S.T. South LA’s Accounting Standards and Procedures and relevant laws and regulations, including overseeing work of contracted accountant and independent auditor.
- Oversee production of financial reports for the Board and Board Committees.
- Leads fundraising efforts in collaboration with Board of Directors.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with funders.
- Develop partnerships and develop/implement fundraising plans, aligned with operational budget and for land acquisitions or other capital projects.
- Ensures financial stability by maintaining healthy cash flow and reserves.
Operations and Management
- Oversee all day-to-day operations of T.R.U.S.T., including administration, human resources, finances, and fund development.
- Fosters effective teamwork with the Board of Directors and between the Board and staff, ensuring accountability of committees and individual Board members.
- Informs the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that might affect the organization, including agency relevance to the community and its overall effectiveness.
- Manage staff, interns, and consultants in compliance with T.R.U.S.T. South LA’s Personnel Policies and relevant laws and regulations and create a supportive, effective work environment.
- Negotiate ground leases, development agreements and other components of land use planning and land acquisition; and ongoing development and monitoring of land leases and relationships with consultants, developers, property managers and tenants.
- Identify pro bono legal resources for all corporate and real estate transactions
- Oversee process for identifying new office space, including the development and implementation of a capital campaign as needed.
Community and Partner Relations
- Serves as chief spokesperson for T.R.U.S.T. South LA.
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships, and coordinating and dissemination of information between project partners and the Board of Directors.
- Leverage resources and relationships with key community leaders, funders, investors and other supporters – for operations, land acquisitions, mobility work, and other program work.
- Establish partners for specific development projects, as well as for land stewardship initiatives.
- Provide strategic leadership to community organizing, coalition initiatives and policy campaigns moved by T.R.U.S.T. independently or in conjunction with various coalition partners.
Education and Experience
- Experience, and/or expertise required in one or more of these areas: community organizing, social justice, economic and real estate development, urban planning, and other relevant fields.
- A minimum of 5 years’ progressive executive leadership experience in fundraising, operations or management of a nonprofit or community organization
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred; Experience may be substituted for additional educational attainment
- Understanding of diverse Black and Brown community issues, as a way to build resident-led vision.
- Understanding of South LA political, social, cultural and organizing landscape.
- Experience as an Executive Director of a nonprofit organization preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing, overseeing and/or implementing fundraising plans.
- Strong organizational skills that combine big picture thinking with attention to details.
- Understanding of land use and development issues and work; affordable housing and/or real estate development experience strongly desired.
- Experience with financial management, an understanding of financial statements, and an ability to use them as tools in T.R.U.S.T.’s financial development.
- Ability to work with both grassroots leaders and public officials well
- Ability to establish respectful and non-judgemental relationships with low-income people and families.
- Bilingual/biliterate (Spanish/English) strongly desired.
- Social justice commitment that is consistent with the Vision, Mission, and Principles of T.R.U.S.T. South LA.
- South Los Angeles residents strongly encouraged to apply.
- Personable and good sense of humor.
Envision Consulting is assisting T.R.U.S.T. South LA in the search for an Executive Director.