GEAR UP College Success Manager
at Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter organization in Los Angeles, serving 12,500 low-income students across 28 free, public charter high schools and middle schools. We’re a well-established charter network with a proven record of success in preparing our students for college. In the next phase of our evolution, we must strive to ensure that our students are set up for success in college and beyond. Now is the time to join us in working for long-lasting change for our scholars.
WHY JOIN ALLIANCE?
Join our team at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an inclusive and innovative organization deeply committed to preparing Los Angeles students for long-term success. We want talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences who are motivated to unleash our scholars’ potential. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions to achieve our goals in service of our 12,500 students and families.
Alliance’s GEAR UP federal grant program supports college readiness and persistence for a cohort of 1,000 7th graders through their first year of college, starting at 7 Alliance middle schools. The GEAR UP College Success Manager is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive plan and strategies to significantly increase GEAR UP students who are college-ready and successfully matriculate and persist in college. This position reports to the GEAR UP Director on the Alliance College Success team.
- Develop grade-level specific objectives to increase GEAR UP students’ college and career readiness, including but not limited to: career exploration and advising, college exploration and advising, college tours (local, regional, and national), and ACT/SAT preparation and participation, the college application/admission/matching process, and financial aid.
- Identify and develop necessary programming and partners to support objectives identified above.
- Collaborate with Alliance College Success team, Instructional team, and other Alliance staff to ensure alignment with Alliance’s overall strategy for college readiness and success.
- Provide training and support for GEAR UP facilitators (counselors) at school sites to implement college and career readiness and social emotional support strategies and programming.
- Work with GEAR UP Family Engagement Coordinator to align college and career readiness scope and sequence and programming for students and parents.
- Evaluate program results and make data-driven decisions to improve effectiveness and impact.
- Support U.S. Department of Education reporting, evaluation, and data collection activities.
- Participate in professional development at the local, regional, and/or state level; attend all GEAR UP meetings and trainings when needed.
- Perform other duties to achieve GEAR UP goals as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years leading parent or community engagement efforts and developing collaborative partnerships
- Experience organizing, facilitating, and training groups
- Experience managing multiple projects with strong administrative and organization skills
- Experience evaluating program impact and using data to inform decision-making
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindset:
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs, educational philosophy, low-income communities, and communities of color
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with teachers, counselors, school leaders and other home office departments
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Alliance is committed to a being a Best Place to Work, where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. Alliance is proud to offer the following benefits to Home Office employees:
- Competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
- A personalized health benefits package, built from a choice of medical, dental and vision coverage plans with a fully covered monthly premium for an individual employee (up to $750/month).
- An employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 5% of your regular earnings, beginning immediately upon your start date.
- Paid time off benefits that include an annual accrual of 15 vacation days and 10 sick days, in addition to 11 paid holidays and paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Employer-paid monthly parking benefit or the option of receiving a reimbursement for using public transportation or a stipend for walking or cycling to work.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.